It seems that every time you look at a magazine cover or read the print on a package of cosmetics, they all scream, “We have found the secret to stop ageing.” This is not true of course, ageing is a fact of life and nothing or no-one can stop it. People do, however, have the ability to age healthily by eating age defying superfoods.
Setting your sights on healthy ageing is practical where searching for the proverbial fountain of youth is a waste of time. What needs to be done is to reduce the risks of both physical and mental decline, as the 30s become the 50s and 60s.
There is no need to fight the inevitable; it is far better to age healthily.
Reduce the risks, bite by bite:
Oxidant stress is something that is cumulative, day in and day out the frontal assault on the body endures. The older a person gets, the more oxidant stress the body has to tolerate. There have been numerous studies that show that there are foods, which are rich in antioxidants that can repair the cumulative effects of oxidant stress and protect against any further damage.
As a person ages, they become less able to cope with the oxidant stress as it is encountered. The human body becomes less capable of fighting off inflammatory responses in the central nervous system. While it has been shown that there are foods that increase energy, mental ability and overall wellness in seniors, the way it works is not completely understood. It is thought that it is the result of the beneficial nutrients in these age defying superfoods, all working in combination with one another.
What this means, in effect, that you should be spending more time in the produce department than you spend in the drug department. Vitamin supplements all attest to being the cure; the truth is the only physical ailment that can be improved, not cured; by vitamin supplements is bone loss and B12 deficiency.
When vitamins, minerals and other compounds are introduced to the body via certain healthy foods, there are significant benefits.
Age defying superfoods:
* Fruits, vegetables and grains are healthy foods, but there are some foods among them, which are superfoods when it comes to mitigating problems associated with aging.
* Blueberries: Blueberries and their close cousins; blackberries, strawberries and cranberries are rich in antioxidants that protect against and fight age-related deterioration of motor functions and cognitive functions.
* Red peppers, pine nuts, and sunflower seeds: Along with oranges and safflower oil, this food group is high in Vitamin C and is good for fighting off skin related aging issues such as wrinkling and dryness.
* Cocoa: Cocoa is higher in antioxidants than green tea, red wine and black tea. When made with low-fat milk it aids in strengthening bones.
* Spinach, kale and collard greens: People who eat these age defying superfoods have a much lower rate of memory decline than those who do not eat them.
Along with walnuts and fish, these foods are proven as antioxidants and they all are beneficial when healthy ageing is your goal.