They lied. They promised we’d grow out of having acne! Hormones, stress, a high-carb diet, and certain medications are a factor, the real culprit is threefold:
- Sebum – an oil produced by your body to lubricate your skin.
- Dead skin cells that clog pores.
Ironically, a lot of the stuff that’s meant to treat acne can end up making it worse by irritating the skin, drying it out, and making your skin produce what? More oil! There are homemade masks for acne that can help moisturize and calm your skin, and help to minimize breakouts, here are five of the best:
- 1 Tbsp. raw honey + 1 Tbsp. green tea + 1 Tbsp. brown sugar + 1 tsp. of grapefruit juice. Raw honey kills bacteria and the brown sugar acts as an abrasive to remove dead skin cells.
- 1 Tbsp. coconut oil + ½ ripe banana + ¼ tsp turmeric. Banana brightens and moisturizes, while turmeric fights bacteria and inflammation. Coconut oil is high in antioxidants and healthy acids.
- 1 tbsp. Bentonite clay + 1 1 Tbsp. raw honey + 1 Tbsp. aloe vera gel + one drop each lavender, calendula, and chamomile essential oil.
- 1 Tbsp. aloe vera gel + 1 Tbsp raw honey + 1 tbsp. powdered seaweed + 1 vitamin E capsule + 1 drop each rosemary, lavender, and lemon essential oils.
- 1 Tbsp Greek yogurt + 1 Tbsp. raw honey + 4 large strawberries.
These masks are meant to be used right away, not stored in the fridge and can cover your face, neck, chest and other trouble spots. Give yourself a winter wakeup and knock back your acne with these masks, or get your mixing skills on and vary the ingredients to see what works best for you.